I needed some inspiration. This COVID thing is pulling me away from the good things I hope to be. So the family moved our work/school space to find inspiration. This is what 14 sunrises reminded me.
1. I need to be more consistent in my leadership work. The sun shows up...everyday....in the same place...at the same time. The sun shows up.
2. I need to be more resilient in my leadership work. The sun doesn't make excuses if the weather isn't perfect. The horizon might be covered, the rain might be falling, but the sun still finds a way to fight through.
3. I need to be more present in my leadership work. Pictures never capture the beauty. That is why we traveled. To hear, smell, see, and EXPERIENCE the sunrise. You cannot replace being present in the midst of a sunrise.
4. I need to empower those around me when I have the opportunity in my leadership work. The sun isn't the thing. The sun may be the catalyst, but it is the way it makes everything around it better. The clouds, water, birds, rocks, and surroundings are the true beauty. Without them, it is great....but with them it is AWESOME.
4. I need to leave more warm feelings in my leadership work. There is instant warmth. The sun makes an impact IMMEDIATELY upon arrival. You can feel it on your face. The coldness is gone, and a beautiful warmth sets in.
5. I need to be mindful of my words and actions in my leadership work...people are watching and listening. The world stops. I observed 20+ surfers working to catch early morning waves one morning. The moment the sun arrived, they stopped. They turned around, watched and waited.
6. I need to be more proactive in my leadership work. It took me 6 months to find time for myself and my family to get recharged. I can't take care of anyone unless I take care of myself and those closest to me first. Get in it and make it happen.
14 sunrises. I needed them way more than they needed me to watch. I am thankful for the opportunity. I will continue to try to have them and the lessons they reminded me about change my attitude, my actions, and my leadership in the work to come. I hope you can find a sunrise or two when you need them as well.
Thanks for stopping by. These are musings on how I see leadership in the world and how I continue to try and grow through my lens.