THE FIRST STEP. It often times is overlooked in an effort to get to the goal. Some people rush into the first step, not really considering the ramifications that could follow due to a lack of intentionality with the first step. Some people overthink it so much, they never take it. I want to provide you with four things to consider as you move toward your goals.
1. 80% of SUCCESS happens in the first step...the other 20% follows everything it does. PLAN, PRACTICE, and KNOW where, when, why and how that first step is taking you. The team, who is following you in your journey, is depending on you and needs you, as their leader, to have a firm grasp of ALL ASPECTS of that first step! If you simply step off without considering the when, where, why, and how, you are apt to set yourself, and your team for failure.
2. The first step defines DIRECTION, SPEED, and ENERGY. First steps can come in all shapes and sizes. You define your first step based on your goals, the big ones and the small ones. Too big of a step, you will leave the rest of the team behind. Too fast, and you will get there early and miss the opportunity to capitalize on the highest reward. Too slow, and you will be left behind trying to play catchup the rest of that move. No matter how big or small the goal in front of you is, the first step should match your plan!
3. Make the first step STRONG. A strong first step shows complete commitment. Have you ever seen someone take a first step, wobble and then look befuddled as they try and change directions. They weren't sold on the first step, and thus they will be less effective and efficient. Remember strong doesn't mean forceful, but instead means confident, comfortable, and consistent!
4. There are MANY OPPORTUNITIES to take a first step. Each goal requires a reengagement of your first step. One part needs you to be calm, focused, and purposeful. One part needs you to explode with energy and needs you to move fast!! One part needs you to move exactly in time and purpose with the people around you. One part needs you to step out of the team and lead yourself in your own direction.
Engage your planning, purpose, energy, and focus every time you have an opportunity to take a first step. When you do, you will find that every step that follows will flow more effectively toward your goals!! What is your next step?
Thanks for stopping by. These are musings on how I see leadership in the world and how I continue to try and grow through my lens.